Sunday, February 20, 2011

A few more first pictures and.....The First Bath!!!

Just a few more pictures from the hospital...pay no attention to the mother...she just had major surgery! Pay more attention to the cute baby!
We have so many good friends up here that we consider our "New York family." This is Aaron, whom we've known since 2007 when we all worked together in New Hampshire at a summer stock theater.
Aaron works at a cupcake bakery called Crumbs. He stopped on his way to the hospital and asked his colleagues to whip up a couple of custom cupcakes with writing for us...
And this is Brittany, another close friend from our summers in New Hampshire. We're so lucky to have such good caring friends/babysitters who are as excited as we are about this new little adventure!
And of course, the grandma (go-ma) on my side. I was incredibly thankful to have my mother here for the week or so before Samuel came and for a couple days after to help me get situated at home. We miss you Go-ma!!
And another of many family photos....
I made the outfit Samuel came home from the hospital in. A little blue flannel onesie with feet and a matching hat. It was a little bit big but I definitely didn't care; I worked so hard on it-he was going to wear it no matter what.
And aunt Juli knitted some little baby red mittens for him...too cute!
I bought these little blue sweatpants a few weeks ago and have been so excited to put them on him ever since. I finally got the chance and he was ADORABLE!! And they're reversible! They're grey and navy blue striped on the other side. So if he doesn't pee through them in the first 20 minutes he wears them, we can get double use out of them.
Okay...the first bath. We don't have any pictures of it because it was such a momentous occasion. These bath pictures are from the 2nd bath. I will tell the story of the 1st bath though so you can all get a kick out of us.

We decided to have a go at a bath in our kitchen sink. So we got all set up and got the hot water going...check. He cried, of course, as all newborns are wont to do during baths for a while-no biggie. When we were ready to rinse him, we put our hands back in the water and it had gone cold and was not making any moves back towards warm. Who loves NYC apartment living?!?! So I bolted to the bathroom and got the tub hot water going...check...hot water in the bathroom. I yelled to Jason, who picked up the entire bath set-up with the crying child in it and ran to the bathroom. We made a mad dash at rinsing him off and noticed that his hands and feet were a tiny bit blue. Nothing to worry too much about, but definitely enough to cause concern for two 1st time parents. We wrapped him really well in a big fluffy towel and went to our bedroom where Jason sat in front of the radiator and rubbed on his little feet and hands to help warm him. As we started to calm down and he stopped crying, he let go of the biggest, healthiest poop of his 1 week life all over the clean towel in Jason's hands. We both died laughing! He was completely content. We wiped him off and got him dressed for bed and off to sleep he went. Perfect. The second bath went much better. We started in the bathtub this time and we were much quicker about getting him clean. Bathtime...check.
Just a few more pictures of the "Muel" at 6 days. Quite a difference from what I saw peeking over that c-section curtain!
This is some razorback gear from Aunt Em and Uncle Jim. He wore it for one nap and promptly peed all over it during the diaper change following the nap. I thought it would be good to snap a picture of it before all of that.
On February 14, we took Sam to the pediatrician for his check-up. I completely forgot it was Valentine's day until the receptionist entered in the date and talked about it out loud. I immediately burst into postpartum tears because I had forgotten all about it. I was promptly reassured by amazing husband that I had nothing to worry about and he would handle everything. Later that day, I was surprised by tulips being delivered to my door and when Jason got home from work, he ordered a pizza and we watched a movie on the couch all together. My 2 valentines and me.
Stay tuned. There will be more. Aren't I doing well?

1 comment:

Denise said...

he is just BEAUTIFUL!! So very happy for the new family of 3. You also make a very beautiful and glowing Mama, Sam! xoxo